Saturday, June 5, 2010

Furthering Education...

Korey finished his online intersession class last night. He is now officially done with undergrad! We had a little high fivin' and cheers in that moment! Haley came over and we had a wonderful meal together as roommates and friends. Then Haley and I watched and cheered on Jeff and Korey as they put together our wonderful new bookshelf for the living room (might I add - $25 from Wally World made of particle board and black poster board as the back drop). It is now safely fasten to the wall with the safety strap - but it still leans crooked. Oh well -- It looks lovely and will soon be filled with all of Korey and Jeff's books of theology, christianity, biblical commentary, and such. ((This will empty a bookshelf upstairs that will then be able to filled with Cat in the Hat, A Fine School, Alice the Fairy, and many more of my wonderful books of choice for the Early Childhood realm of people.))

I just accepted a tutoring job for the rest of the summer that I'm pretty stoked about. It's just 45 minutes twice a week to work on a 1st-going into 2nd grader's reading. We had to put together a service learning project for one of our classes last semester and my group did a "Rethink Reading" session at Roosevelt Elementary. One of the mom's that attended emailed us wanting someone to work with her boy on his reading through the summer -- and that's now ME :)  I feel this is a sign that I should look more into the graduate programs in literacy. I feel that a Master's in Curriculum and Instruction with a focus on Literacy would help make me more marketable, but also be something that I can apply immediately in my teaching (unlike the Educational Leadership and Policy Studies - which might not be as handy until I am able to be a principal).  I also feel that I understand and love Math so much that a Master's in that would just add some knowledge to something I enjoy already. I feel that I am able to explain math in different ways to children-- Literacy however, is a different story. Our Lit sequence at OU was wonderful and I learned a lot, but I feel that I could learn more and understand it better through getting a Master's in it. Reading is soo important to EVERYTHING else you will ever do. Now I'm looking into when I need to take the GRE (to get into a Grad School) on top of the other 2 tests I have left for getting my teaching certificate. Anyways-- I will get my Master's and I'll be tutoring this summer! -- 

Korey will be just a working boy this summer-- but he is very deserving of a break from school! He took 12 hours this past semester while working over 40 some weeks and still being a wonderful and loving husband. I'm excited for him to relax more this summer and I know he looks forward to starting classes at seminary this fall. 

We have VBS this week at UFC as well has a group coming from Indiana to serve our community with us. I hate that summer school had to start this week. It's going to prohibit me from being as involved as I desire, but I know that prayer for our UFC team and the team from Indiana is always needed and something I can do constantly in class or not! If you have any kiddos and want them to have a week of hearing God's word and enjoying Christ with the loving members of UFC - it's from 6-8 Monday-Friday. 

I should probably get to work on this intro to philosophy class... but even with homework - chief end... will be to glorify Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment